Thursday, August 16, 2012

First day of Kindergarten



Brett and Kaci, age 5, Aug. 16, 2012.
I remember my first day of Kindergarten well - a school bus pulled up to our home in the small town of Gypsum. I got on, waved to my mom and didn't blink a tear.

Today it was my turn. My husband and I walked my twin girls to school. While we blinked back tears, they smiled with excitement.

I gave them the talk yesterday in preparation. Don't talk to strangers, even if it is Santa. The same goes for the Easter bunny. Don't wear other people's clothing and hats - we don't want head lice. Please listen to your teachers, even if you don't listen at home. No, Kaci, we won't get you a motorcycle to drive to school.



I love them so much. I can't believe five years of their life has already passed. I can't let the next five go by so quickly.

Knowing I was feeling blue, my friend Kathy gave me some words of encouragement.

"At least they aren't in boarding school. You wouldn't see them until Thanksgiving."

 

No comments: