Sunday, April 13, 2008

Baby A and Baby B


Want to know how it all started? Here's my first story on being pregnant with twins. This published in November of 2006. 

My husband calls them Baby A and Baby "Holy Catnip."

Well, those weren't his exact words, which can't be printed, but they were definitely uttered when we left the doctor's office after my first sonogram.

Our first children would be twins, the ultrasound technician told us. But to me they looked more like little aliens than something human.

Not that we hadn't planned for children, when I hit 30, i realized my biological clock was ticking, plus I was a little tired of the questions friends and family on why we hadn't started a family.

"You do practice?" one nosey relative asked me once to my dismay.

Anyway, I'm due in March. Preparation already has begun in our household.

We are going to need diapers -- a ton of them. Some of the facts. 18 billion disposable diapers are thrown into landfills each year -- making up the third-largest source of solid waste in landfills after newspapers and food and beverage containers. I guess we will add to those statistics

Besides spending more money on diapers, we're already planning for two cribs, two high chairs, tow car seats and a double stroller, just to top off the list. What we budged for day care will double, as well as the other expenses of raising children.

Husband John's big money-saving idea: We'll buy a goat and milk it if, for some reason, the babies are allergic to breast milk. He even asked a co-worker about keeping on at her farm. HE also would be the one milking it every morning and evening.

On the subject of motherhood, I'll admit I'm scared to death. I'm not domesticated. I eat cold tomato soup out of the can when John's away coaching, or frozen pizza and Kraft macaroni and cheese. I still don't consider myself a grown-up, and the thought of being one gives me goose bumps.

I don't know the first thing about changing diapers, what a baby east and all that other stuff that probably is in the book "Parenting for Dummies."

Also, we're in a habit of doing things whenever we feel like it. We might decided to go out to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings or to the movies at the last minute. We play softball three or four days a week in the summer, and in the fall, we're at every home Kansas State University football game.

Life from now on will require careful planning.

But to tell you the truth, we couldn't be more excited. WE talk about how someday our twins might like to hunt and play sports, that they will go to college and become professionals and make sue extremely proud.

Some couples dream of having one baby; God blessed us with two.

For now, all has gone pear-shaped, and I expected to turn into the Great Pumpkin any day now. 

No comments: