Friday, May 2, 2008

Where is Kaci?

So, I felt like a terrible mommy.

Sure, the girls have had a few falls now and then. They've endured a long car-ride to Colorado for skiing. I've made them try vegetables that I don't even like.

But a few nights ago, on a trip around the local high school track on the bicycle, the girls in the In-Step trailer, I thought I had really done it.

I thought I had lost Kaci.

She was safely buckled in when we started. We had already gone a couple miles, the girls sitting back there, playing with toys, I'm rocking to the Oak Ridge Boys on my ipod, when I look back for the umteenth time to check on them. 

Kaci wasn't there. I freaked. 

Kaci is a wanderer. Brett hasn't figured out the walking bit yet. But Kaci, she's everywhere. She's into everything. I had nightmarish visions that she had somehow jumped out of the trailer and had already roamed to a nearby wheat field. I'd never find her.

The  guy jogging was a great help, however.

He pointed out, when I hysterically asked him if he had seen my daughter (I have no idea what he was thinking about a question like that, either), that she was hiding in the storage part of the trailer.

Little Kaci, who is quick, as well as lanky, and gotten out of her seat belt and sneaked into the area behind the seat. 

My heart still beating loudly, I fastened her back in, took one more lap around the track, and we headed for the safety of home.

No comments: